Sunday, November 9, 2008

Testing the Literary Waters

     One beautiful October morning, I sat down with Gloria Thorne, President of the Sherman Historical Society, and Ann Price, Warren Wilson's grand-daughter. Ann grew up in Sherman, with its stories of Robber Rocks, and woodlands swallowing the remaining farms.
     I had asked if they would let me read them the draft of my Introduction to Hidden Hollow, a description of hearing the legends of the 1920s Bohemians from my father. Patiently, and with some laughter, they listened. Both added pieces of information, and made connections for me.
     They pointed me to the house pictured above, Lida and Burton Beckwith's, when they moved to Sherman, Center. This is the house that Lida's grandchildren and great grandchildren remember visiting. The delightful garden is the product of the current owner, a professional gardener, Robin Zitter. 
     Gloria invited me to give a reading in Sherman when my book is completed, and I promised to send her the results of my research on the families of Hidden Hollow. Ann and I planned a meeting for the next week, so that she could show me some of her mother's research notes. I once thought I would never resolve the mysteries of Hidden Hollow. I should have known that there is no substitute for field work!
     

No comments: